Molecular Biology of Mycobacterium tuberculosis
1988.09-1992.07, Bachelor of Microbiology, Huazhong Agricultural University
1992.09-1995.07, Master's Degree, School of Life Science &Technology, Huazhong Agricultural University
1998.09-2001.07, Ph.D., Institute of Microbiology, Chinese Academy of Sciences
2001.07-2004.06, Postdoctoral research at Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Medicine, Harvard Medical School, USA
2004.08-2005.08, Professor at School of Life Sciences, Hubei University, China
2005.09-present, Professor at School of Life Science and Technology, Huazhong Agricultural University, China
From November 2010 to present, Deputy director of State Key Laboratory of Agricultural Microbiology, Huazhong Agricultural University, China
Scientific research achievements：
Direction of scientific research:
The growth and drug-resistance regulatory network of Mycobacterium tuberculosis and the mechanism of pathogen-host interaction.
We took the lead in building the global protein-protein interaction network and gene transcription regulatory network of Mycobacterium tuberculosis, and found a variety of new mechanisms for mycobacterial growth and drug-resistance regulation.
Host scientific research projects:
1. The 13th five-year national key R&D program 2017-2020, Gene regulation of important intracellular bacteria in livestock and poultry and the molecular mechanism of their interaction with the host (2017YFD0500300)
2. Key project of National Natural Science Foundation of China 2018-2022, The signal pathway and molecular mechanism of c-di-GMP molecular driven antioxidant regulation of Mycobacterium smegmatis (31730005)
3. Key project of NSFC 2010-2013, DNA replication regulatory network of Mycobacterium tuberculosis and its genetic mechanism coupled with drug-resistance mutation (30930003)
4. National Science Fund for Distinguished Young Scholars 2011-2014, Microbial biological macromolecule interaction (31025002)
5. 973 program 2006-2010, Molecular biology and pathogenic mechanism of important animal pathogens -- genomics research and new gene discovery (2006CB504402)
Selected publications (* Corresponding author)
1. Weihui Li, Lihua Hu, Zhiwei Xie, Hui Xu, Meng Li,Tao Cui, Zheng-Guo He* (2018) Cyclic di-GMP integrates functionally divergent transcription factors into a regulation pathway for antioxidant defense. Nucleic Acids Res. 46(14):7270-7283.
2. Weihui Li, Meng Li, Lihua Hu, Jingpeng Zhu, Zhiwei Xie, Jiarui Chen, Zheng-Guo He* (2018) HpoR, a novel c-di-GMP effective transcription factor, links the second messenger’s regulatory function to the mycobacterial antioxidant defense. Nucleic Acids Res. 46(7):3595-3611.
3. Weihui Li, Tao Cui, Lihua Hu, Ziqing Wang, Zongqiang Li, Zheng-Guo He* (2015) Cyclic diguanylate monophosphate directly binds to human siderocalin and inhibits its antibacterial activity. Nat Commun 6: 8330.
4. Weihui Li, Zheng-Guo He* (2012) LtmA, a novel cyclic di-GMP responsive activator, broadly regulates the expression of lipid transport and metabolism genes in Mycobacterium smegmatis. Nucleic Acids Res. 40(22):11292-30.
5. Min Yang, Chunhui Gao, Tao Cui, Jingning An, Zheng-Guo He* (2012) A TetR-like regulator broadly affects the expressions of diverse genes in Mycobacterium smegmatis. Nucleic Acids Res. 40(3):1009-1020.
6. Feng Huang, Zheng-Guo He* (2010) Characterization of an interplay between a Mycobacterium tuberculosis MazF homolog, Rv1495, and its sole DNA topoisomerase I. Nucleic Acids Res. 38(22):8219-8230.
7. Manman Guo, Hui Feng, Jun Zhang, Wenqin Wang, Yi Wang, Yuqing Li, Chunhui Gao, Huanchun Chen, Ying Feng, Zheng-Guo He* (2009) Dissecting transcription regulatory pathways through a new bacterial one-hybrid reporter system. Genome Res. 19(7): 1301-1308.
8. Lu Zhang, Lei Zhang, Yi Liu, Shifan Yang, Chunhui Gao, Hongchao Gong, Ying Feng, Zheng-Guo He* (2009) Archaeal eukaryote-like Orc1/Cdc6 initiators physically interact with DNA polymerase B1 and regulate its functions. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 106(19):7792-7797.
9. Yu Liu, Hongyang Wang, Tao Cui, Xiling Zhou, Yanxia Jia, Hua Zhang*, Zheng-Guo He* (2016) NapM, a new nucleoid-associated protein, broadly regulates gene expression and affects mycobacterial resistance to anti-tuberculosis drugs. Mol Microbiol. 101(1): 167-181.
10. Yi Wang, Tao Cui, Cong Zhang, Min Yang, Yuanxia Huang, Weihui Li, Lei Zhang, Chunhui Gao, Yang He, Yuqing Li, Feng Huang, Jumei Zeng, Cheng Huang, Qiong Yang, Yuxi Tian, Chunchao Zhao, Huanchun Chen, Hua Zhang, Zheng-Guo He* (2010) Global protein-protein interaction network in the human pathogen Mycobacterium tuberculosis H37Rv. J Proteome Res. 9(12): 6665 - 6677.
11. Yuqing Li, Jumei Zeng, Jianfang Shi, Mingchao Wang, Muding Rao, Chaolun Xue, Yanli Du, Zheng-Guo He* (2010) A proteome-scale identification of novel antigenic proteins in Mycobacterium tuberculosis towards diagnostic and vaccine development. J Proteome Res. 9(9): 4812 – 4822.
12. Jumei Zeng,Tao Cui, Zheng-Guo He* (2012) A Genome-wide Regulator-DNA Interaction Network in the human pathogen Mycobacterium tuberculosis H37Rv. J Proteome Res. 11(9), 4682-4692.
13. Hu Q, Zhang J, Chen Y, Hu L, Li W, Zheng-Guo He* (2019). Cyclic di-GMP co-activates the two-component transcriptional regulator DevR in Mycobacterium smegmatis in response to oxidative stress. J Biol Chem. 294(34):12729-12742.
14. Chen Zhu, Yu Liu, Lihua Hu, Min Yang*, Zheng-Guo He* (2018) Molecular mechanism of the synergistic activity of ethambutol and isoniazid against Mycobacterium tuberculosis. J Biol Chem. 293(43):16741-16750.
15. Lei Liu, Cheng Huang, Zheng-Guo He*. (2014)A TetR-family transcriptional factor directly regulates the expression of a 3-methyladenine DNA glycosylase and physically interacts with the enzyme to stimulate its base excision activity in Mycobacterium bovis BCG. J Biol Chem. 289(13):9065-9075.
16. Shifan Yang, Zengqiang Gao, Tingting Li, Min Yang, Tianyi Zhang, Yuhui Dong*, Zheng-Guo He* (2013) Structural basis for interaction between M. smegmatis Ms6564, a TetR family master regulator, and its target DNA. J Biol Chem. 288(33):23687-95.
17. Lei Zhang, Zheng-Guo He* (2013) Radiation-sensitive gene A (RadA) targets DisA, DNA integrity scanning protein A, to negatively affect its cyclic-di-AMP synthesis activity in Mycobacterium smegmatis. J Biol Chem. 288(31):22426-22436.
18. Lei Zhang, Weihui Li, Zheng-Guo He* (2013) DarR, a TetR-like transcriptional factor, is a cyclic-di-AMP responsive repressor in Mycobacterium smegmatis. J Biol Chem. 288 (5): 3085-3096.
19. Muding Rao, Huicong Liu, Min Yang, Chunchao zhao, Zheng-Guo He* (2012) A copper-responsive global repressor regulates expression of diverse membrane-associated transporters and bacterial drug resistance in mycobacteria. J Biol Chem. 287(47):39271-39371.
20. Yi Wang, Yuanxia Huang, Chaolun Xue, Yang He, Zheng-Guo He* (2011) A ClpR-like regulator specifically recognizes a RecA-independent promoter motif and broadly regulates expression of DNA damage inducible genes in mycobacteria. J Biol Chem. 286(36): 31159-31167.